The Pro-Bosque Foundation in coordination with the Guayaquil Urban Birders Collective organized the Bird Fest Wings of the Dry Forest event which took place in Cerro Blanco Protected Forest on December 17, 2016 from 9am to 3pm. This event was held within the framework of the Audubon 2016 Christmas Bird Count. As the Christmas Count was carried out with a limited number of participants, we decided to open up this event to all kinds of public interested in birds. A total of 350 people participated in the Bird fest and enjoyed the following activities:
- Market. - sale of organic products and handicrafts
- Talks on topics related to birds for children and adults about birds of the dry forest.
- Workshops for children and adults. - Drawing and crafts workshops.
- Photographic exhibitions. - Exhibits of beautiful photographs of the birds of the Dry Forest.
- Artistic presentations. - Singers and dancers who gave a festive touch to the event.
- Photography Contest. - The winners of the photography competition were awarded prizes.
In the Bird fest a delegation of the Forestry Brigade of the Guayaquil Fire Department participated focusing on the grave threat forest fires pose to dry forests, which included a talk on "Impacts of the Forest Fires” as well as exercises with participants in tree climbing and handling of fire hoses, which was a delight for the children.